Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Sedona Seduction

Welcome to Sedona Arizona! Lego Insider magazine once called it “The Most Beautiful Place in America”. Yes, it was very beautiful. But we disagree that it’s the most beautiful. We think it's more like, “Evidence that Arizona actually has trees. And flesh-eating tree shrews.”

As you can see, I’m so excited about being there that I can’t seem to keep my eyes open. I think I was so happy that the temperature plummeted to a nippy 107 that I was ready to curl up for a long winter’s nap inside a nearby cactus.




The city of Sedona is filled with a lot of specialty shops that we browsed through. Sheri and I have a creepy pattern to our pictures. Every time we take one of ourselves, Sheri looks like herself: cute and fun. I look like a severely disturbed cartoon character.





See?!? Even the rabid boar is afraid of me!


We did some amazing hikes while we were there. This one is considered one of the best hikes in Sedona. I'm pretty sure it's called "I peed my pants" lookout. At least that's what it should be called...stupid arch...





I can only imagine what our kids will say after they look at this picture ("Daddy, why did Mommy have a death wish?") But I'm sure I'll come up with a brilliant story about how Mommy wasn't actually on the edge of certain death, but was being protected by Glitterbright, The Enchanted Rainbow Unicorn. Kids like that kind of stuff - you know, lies. That's how people like Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny, and Barrack Obama came into existence.



This is our luxurious campsite. Just to be manly I decided that I'd sleep on a mound of rocks with no padding except for a fine layer of rusty nails and a horde of angry scorpions as my pillow. Sheri built herself a waterbed. Now that's camping!




Sheri is standing next to the last known Yellow Bongo Tree in the world. Rumor has it that by merely touching it you will instantly become pregnant with triplets. It doesn't appear to have happened to Sheri, but for some reason I've been getting some strange contractions as of late...




Yes, Mr. Smarty Pants, we are on top of a mountain. And yes, Mr. Smarty Pants, my forehead is the size of a small African country. Unfortunately I inherited it from by younger brother. Don't ask me how that works. It's complicated.



Little did we know that during our escapades we were slowly being eaten alive by either mosquitoes, spiders, or Keebler elves. I tend to believe the latter, because every time you scratched them, you got a whiff of sultry chocolate. All in all we had a combined total of...and I'm not kidding here...156 bites!!!








8 comments:

Sarah said...

Dave. You are hilarious! I can't tell you how pleased I am that you jumped into the blogging world. I am glad you are having a good time in 'theres no way I will ever live in that heat' Arizona. The bug bites reminded me of that field studies death march....I can't remember much about it just a whole lot of screaming.

Nan and Aaron said...

Harro Dave!

Reading about the "nippy 107" degree weather is starting to make me nervous about our future blogging during Chicago winters--"it was a balmy 3 degrees today, so we decided to actually get out of bed..."

Your writing is just plain funny all the time, but I especially enjoyed the Obama comment.

Bryan said...

So much to say.... But here it goes.

Who took at picture at the pee-my-pants arch?

Pike's Place said...

Okay, Meyers do not say "peed," so I'm not sure who you are anymore. :)

I wish every foot/leg smelled like sultry chocolate! The world would be so much better.

Obama is imaginary? What a relief! Here I was . . . worried about a mega-liberal for no reason. I've been had!

So that's where Jayce got his big forehead . . . Uncle ___________. Now I don't feel guilty anymore.

Denae said...

Dave I found your blog on Meg's blog. You are truly hilarious and extremely entertaining. I hope you don't mind a new blog reader :)

Vhari said...

I'm sure I would have been screaming "I hate this place! I hate this place!" But I guess you guys would have been safe because they would have only feasted on me. Another entertaining and very hilarious post!

Tia said...

Dave- I'm so glad Megan has your blog link on hers! You are still just as funny and witty as you were in high school - it is so refreshing! Congrats on getting married and good luck with all the heat in AZ!!

Sarah said...

Okay. I had some slow time and was looking at Lisa's blog and saw a link to your blog. I cannot believe that
a) poor Sheri got tapeworm
and
b) that you guys had such insanely scary bug bites. I don't think I would have survived 5 minutes there. When Scott and I went to Mexico, I got eaten by mesquitos with a measly twenty bites or so, and I was going crazy scratching. In fact, I still have the scars from scratching too much. I get the creeps just thinking about it.

The pictures of Grand Canyon are beautiful. I want to go there now! Scott and I should go.