Friday, July 18, 2008

A Midsummer's Night Monsoon


That’s right – Monsoon season. Did you know that the word “Monsoon” actually comes from an Indian word that means, “Gary the Weeping Lizard”? Navajo legend has it that the thunder and rain are caused by a rather surly lizard on roller-skates (hence the thunder) who cries and spits its venom every which way (hence the acid burns…I mean, rain). The belief among the Indians is that the only way to stop a monsoon is to communicate to Gary through the use of sock puppets. It sounded pretty straight forward to me at first, but I’ve come to the conclusion that I’m either being lied to, or this “Gary” doesn’t appreciate googily-eyed socks with feathery headdresses.

3 comments:

Pike's Place said...

Grrrr!! Don't remind me of monsoon season. When will Vegas partake of the supposed rain and storminess? The weathermen keep saying it's coming, but all we get is NOTHING! :( It's only fair that you should be sweltering like me.

Nice video, Dave! Your quick wit is alive and well!

Jessica said...

I have family (in-law) in Tucson and Nogales and enjoy being there during the monsoons (Grandpa and Grandma rarely use their swamp cooler- monsoons are the only way to get any relief- that, and hanging out at wal-mart). A word of warning though: the rain flushes out all the snakes and tarantulas...

P.S. I was really hoping that the vid was sock puppets communicating with Gary... still entertaining nonetheless :)
P.P.S Hope you don't mind that I've come to visit your blog. :)

Bryan said...

Good ol' gary!